Ascertain the de-addicting effects of continuous parenteral injection of specific micronutrients that have demonstrated de-addicting effects for chemical dependencies and addictive behaviors. A unique feature of this investigation is that it is the first to administer these substances using a pre-filled, disposable elastomeric continuous parenteral pump.
Provide patients with chemical dependencies with a series of pumps prefilled with de-addicting micronutrient chemistries:
- Ascorbic acid
- NAC / Glutathione
Most of these need only be taken orally, but for some, especially ascorbic acid, the de-addicting effect requires blood concentrations that are difficult to achieve without parenteral administrations. The patient is to use a new pump each day, starting with the day they stop their addiction. This is in support of the “cold-turkey” addiction recovery strategy, and is to be used in conjuction with the 12-step process and an active sponsor for each patient to whom the patient checks in twice daily. They are removed at night. This continues for 3 weeks to help the patient through the most challenging part of the de-addiction process. Subsequent oral administration continues for another 3 months.
- Patients will be administered the QLQ-30 test before, during, and after the trial to assess how well the protocol is assisting them.
- Objective Cognitive Functional test.
- Supplementary Addiction Recovery Survey to be completed before, during and after the trial.
- Endpoint will be complete remission of addictive behaviors.
- : David Austin
- : experimental
- : preliminary_investigation | identify_therapeutic_thresholds
- : no
- : no
- : not_blind
- : Addictive behavior, including psychological chemical dependencies ranging from alcohol to smoking to prescription drug addictions, as well as unhealthy obsessive activities aimed at satisfying the reward center of the brain as defined in DSM-5. This may include several behaviors potentially affecting the reward circuitry in human brains lead to a loss of control and other symptoms of addiction including gambling, gaming, pornography addiction, online sexual acting out, other reward-centered compulsive behaviors, and severe social media addiction.
- : Complete remission of addictive behavior.
- : QLQ-30 improvements and sense of personal empowerment and confidence in staying clear of addictive behavior. Also, days remained free from addiction follow-up for up to 3 months.
- : Pharmaceutical treatments.